Whether you believe people are born with creativity or that creativity is a learned skill, one thing is certain. Creativity is not always there. It comes and goes like your crazy Aunt Katherine. It can be a spark of madness, the outcome of hours of coffee consumption and little sleep with only tiny tooth picks to hold your eyes open.
Here at Big Fish we value creativity. Probably more than anything else. So to commemorate the creative geniuses at Big Fish, several members of our staff have broken down their own creative processes.
1. Phil, Film Director- I watch a lot of videos and movies, but it’s hard to enjoy them, because I am constantly critiquing them. Therefore, when I have a project to do I take inspiration from all of the videos and movies I’ve watched specifically my favorites:
- Requiem for a Dream
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- The Departed
2. Mitch Cobb, Creative Director- Honestly, I Google.
3. Luke Jones, Copywriter- I typically start off by listening to movie soundtracks. From there, I build a word cloud and create a list of key words that I tie together to create clean, smart copy.
- Road to Perdition (and anything by Thomas Newman)
- The Dark Knight Rises
- Cloud Atlas
- Tron Legacy
4. Corey Schneider, Graphic Designer-
- Define the problem
- Research the subject
- Create a mental map to brainstorm ideas that I wouldn’t normally think of.
- Come up with a few visual solutions base on my mind map
- Then I ask for a critique of my preliminary ideas and refine them to come up with a final design.
5. Kristen Hinton, Marketing Director- I try to find creativity in different places and people, but on a daily basis I turn to the following:
- I usually bounce ideas around with a colleague or friend. This is where I find my “umbrella idea.”
- From there, I use Pinterest for visuals. Our Big Fish Pinterest page has a lot of great content. http://pinterest.com/bigfishpres/
- I also listen to music throughout the entire process. My taste is constantly changing, but right now I’m hooked on Childish Gambino and Lana Del Rey.